Monday, June 3, 2013

Beginning Observations

Starting this journey, I know I will have a lot to say at the beginning as there will be so many initial changes.  A couple of observations from the last few days after starting:

On Friday, I decided I was going to eat similarly to how I had before, partly because I had to get the correct foods/ points in the house, but I was also curious to see how I was doing daily before, because I had been telling myself that I was just probably not eating enough. Sure, I knew some of what I was eating was the wrong things, but surely I wasn't doing that bad. 

So, I went to Tim Horton's on the way home for my latte and egg biscuit sandwich (and threw in a pastry).  Then, the rest of the day, I just kind of snacked throughout the day and had a tuna sub from Subway for dinner.  I figured, it was Subway and tuna couldn't be horrible.

I counted up points at the end of the day and oh boy...I went 8 points over my alotted points for the day.  And aside from breakfast, I really hadn't done all that bad with my choices.  Even dinner...I didn't get chips and I didn't get cheese on my sub.  However, all those little things throughout the day that I didn't think were too bad? Yeah, they added up FAST.  

Some people may wonder why in the world I did that on my first day.  I knew that we get 49 extra points a week and I am not planning on using many of those this week (probably just a few for a breakfast of pancakes one morning while camping and one s'more one evening), so I could afford to go over a little. And it was SO eye-opening to see what I had been doing before and how quickly it added up!  Duh, I wasn't losing weight, so it shouldn't have been that surprising.  But it was.

Since then, I have planned out my points for the day at the very beginning of the day, leaving a few for an extra laughing cow cheese or tsp of almond butter on my banana if I want.  And it has been great!   I even made it through the church potluck yesterday making healthy decisions....the brownies weren't even tempting (yet ;)).

I had been saying that the thing I wasn't looking forward to was tracking points on WW again.  I was telling myself that the reason why was because since I have an addiction to food, I thought keeping track of points would just make me think about food more.


I don't think I have ever been more wrong.  What planning my day out at the beginning has done for me is to help me NOT think of food as much throughout the day.  Since I know what I am allowed to have, and can only have what I tracked for, then when I'm tempted to eat something I can't, I am now more prone to pray for God's strength to get me through the temptation rather than to eat it mindlessly.  And if I really am hungry, I have to go for a piece of fruit or carrots (0 points) instead.  

Praising God for the start to this journey! I honestly am more pumped about it now that I am a few days into it.  

I have planned out, in general, what I can have camping.  When we get back, I'll let you know how it goes! Let's do this!

3 comments:

  1. What a good idea to plan out your day ahead of time. I have been awful with tracking this time around with WW. You are an inspiration Rebecca and I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Julie! The prayers mean a ton. And YOU were an inspiration to me to get started back on WW again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This mimics my experience with WW! I dreaded tracking, but I think I learned more from the discipline of tracking than from anything else while on WW. I learned what was worth splurging for (for me) and what I could live without. I began to look forward to eating what I had planned out for the day instead of dreading "dieting". I'm enjoying following you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Swagbucks.com