Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Perspective

I was talking with a co-worker yesterday, well, a former co-worker. She quit last week and is now just a stay-at-home mom with her 8-month old. She was saying how it was so nice to have "mommy time," go on playdates again, and attend a morning Bible study. I had to work really hard at not letting jealously creep in. I also feel this way sometimes when stay-at-home moms complain about how much work they have to do. I tend to get a little angry and want to make them aware that not only am I a stay-at-home mom, but I also work fulltime.

But then a friend helped me put it in perspective. She would love nothing more than to be at home with her baby, but she has to put her child in daycare and go to work everyday.

Sure, I may have to work, but I am so blessed to be able to stay at home with Hannah. To watch her roll over for the first time, then roll across the room. To sooth her on a day like today when she is fussy because her poor little mouth is in pain from the teeth coming in. To see her happy and excited when I come in to pick her up after her naps. To still be nursing. To hold and play with her and read to her off and on throughout the day.

Yes, it's a lot of work. But I wouldn't trade anything for being able to be here for these moments with her, no matter the challenge it might be sometimes.

I am blessed.

2 comments:

  1. I was just talking with some ladies at BSF yesterday saying I don't know how women stay at home and work while taking care of a child. I was sharing with them that I had two friends who do it (one of them you) and how I realize with Bennett's increased activity how hard it is for me to get pictures edited for the few clients I have taken on.

    Thanks for reminding me that perspective is always helpful

    ReplyDelete
  2. So enjoy your transparency, and what a blessing for the changed perspective you had last week. It truly is a blessing you get to spend every day with Hannah!

    I am thankful to finally be at a point where I'm genuinely thankful and happy working part time. It took a little while to get here, but I know God has me where he has for a reason.

    have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Swagbucks.com