Wednesday afternoon, when Hannah woke up from her nap, there was narrow sun beam washing over her crib and on to her arm. As I watched on the baby monitor from my room, I saw her mesmerized by the light on her arm. She moved her arm up and down and didn't take her eyes off of the reflection of the sun. She did this for a good 20 minutes before I went in her room and took a video and then some pictures. Eventually she noticed me and contentedly smiled up at me.
It was such a beautiful moment. Hannah discovers new things each day and never fails to be in awe. From finding her fingers, to discovering her voice, to grabbing a rattle, and watching sun beams dance on her arm, she is captured by each.
How many lessons I can learn from my precious daughter. The importance of delighting in the small joys of life. Of watching sun dance on my skin.
A few weeks ago, my dear friend Fiona and I were talking about how it seems silly how much joy we get out of watching our daughters do something as simple as swat at a toy. Fiona mentioned that we are delighted because our children are doing what they were created to do. Just like God delights in us when we do what we were created to do. To love. To truly live. To share Him with others. To live in His grace. Am I allowing God to delight in me? Am I doing what I was created to do?
Living life to the fullest. Hannah lives life to the fullest because that's all she knows to do. She doesn't know what it is to waste a moment. She can be captured by the sun for hours.
Then it made me think.
Am I letting myself be captured by the Son? Am I in awe of His reflection and bright beauty with which He so lovingly washes over me?
You're friend is really wise Bec..hehe ;)
ReplyDeletebut no, seriously good thoughts...I know I haven't been letting myself be captured by the son for hours on end recently. But one thing I have been trying hard to do lately is live in the moment and take in all the precious final moments with friends here...love you!
To answer your question....NO. I am captured by the SON for a few moments then my mind wonders. It wonders to laundry and the internet and the grocery list and on and on. I pray to be captured by the SON more often
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful reminder. I really love this Rebecca. It is incredible how our babies just take life in without a care in the world - and how they can teach us to be more like children of God in awe of our creator.
ReplyDelete