Saturday, January 22, 2011

Home

As I was teaching yesterday, I was discussing with my students the deeper meaning of words. I used the example of a house and a home. I explained that the even though these two seem to have the same meaning at first, the meaning of home is much deeper.

Home is where the heart is.

Home sweet
home.


A house is made of walls and beams; a home is built with love and dreams.


I went on to say that a home is where you feel most comfortable. Where you feel most at peace. I explained that growing up in Michigan for all of my childhood and up until the beginning of my adult life, that Michigan feels like home. The place I'll always call home.

However, even as I said this, my heart told me different.

I found that I am finally at home here. Not at home in Florida. But at home with my family.

I am at home with the smell of this morning's coffee brewing and the sound of my husband's deep breathing in the background as he soundly sleeps.

I am at home with the sweet giggling of my baby girl as she excitedly flails her little legs and finds something new to put in her mouth.

I am at home with the soft little fingers that wrap around my thumb and
don't want to let go.


I am at home with the gentle breeze blowing through the window.

I am at home with her soft curls and his strong hands.

I am at home here.

“I have been very happy with my homes, but homes really are no more than the people who live in them.” -Nancy Reagan



“I long, as does every human being, to be at home wherever I find myself.” -Maya Angelou


3 comments:

  1. First of all, it was so nice to see you last night.

    Second of all, I am with you. I just wrote on one of my photos of downtown Tampa, that I posted this morning, that this is finally home. However, it is true....not so much Florida, as my family. Our little Bungalow would be nothing without Sam and Bennett.

    Thanks for sharing, friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually have one of those quotes on our basement wall! I just posted about it not long ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredibly sweet post Rebecca. I really enjoy your writing and hope you continue to blog as often as you can!

    I'm wondering what grade you teach? Interested at what age level kids would be learning this.

    Hope you had a good weekend and it was great to see you Sat.

    ReplyDelete

My Blog List

Swagbucks.com