Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Blessed Assurance: Remembering Grandpa


I hope to post more soon about what has happened in our lives over the last month since I've last written, but tonight I wanted to pay tribute to my dear Grandpa Hop who left this earth and entered into eternity this morning. Although it was a shock--no one expected a man in his amazing state of health as an 85 year-old to die of a massive heart attack--it's important to remember what he left here for us all.

Grandpa was an amazing man in so many ways. I don't think words can really do it justice, but I can try.

He had a wonderful sense of humor and had the best laugh. I have many, many fond memories of playing cards with him and "talking smack" with each other. He could dish it out and take it equally as well. I loved the light banter that we'd have during those times. I can't help but chuckle a little as I remember those times.


He had a deep compassion for others. For many, many years, up until today, he worked with a prison ministry, helping to dig deep into Scripture with new believers in prison. Although he did it for so many years, it wasn't until about a year and a half ago that I heard about it, which was a true display of his humility. In whatever he did, he put others first and truly cared about what people were going through.

He had an amazing memory. Even though he had over 25 grandchildren and over 20 great-grandchildren, he knew all the grandchildren's birthdays and all the great-grandchildren's names. It showed how much he invested in his family and the value he placed on it. He also made sure to call us and take the time to really know what was going on in everyone's lives--and he knew, too, what was going on!

He valued health. He went for a jog almost every day for years and in the last few years, although those jogs turned to brisk walks, he still made sure to get out, enjoy the fresh air, and stay in shape. He even took up biking the last few months of his life! He inspires me to value health the same way.

Although courageous and strong, he was not afraid to show emotion. I saw my grandpa cry more times than I can count, but almost all the memories I have of him crying are because he was crying over the blessings he had in his life. He said the prayer at almost all of his grandchildren's weddings and I know his prayers were almost always tear-filled because of the overwhelming joy he felt in those moments, among many others.

He had such a strong faith. His faith in his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ was unwavering. He had a deep relationship with Christ and it spilled over into everything that he did and said. I can still hear his powerful, beautiful voice belting out hymns at many services. He loved singing praises to his Savior and wasn't afraid to show that passion in his worship. He was in the Word constantly and was an amazing witness with all he came in contact.

Grandpa, I will miss you so much but know that you are now singing your heart out at the feet of Jesus...I love you.

Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!

Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
Born of His Spirit, washed in His blood.

  • This is my story, this is my song,
    Praising my Savior all the day long;
    This is my story, this is my song,
    Praising my Savior all the day long.
Perfect submission, perfect delight,
Visions of rapture now burst on my sight;
Angels, descending, bring from above

Echoes of mercy, whispers of love.

Perfect submission, all is at rest,
I in my Savior am happy and blest,

Watching and waiting, looking above,

Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.

1 comment:

My Blog List

Swagbucks.com